Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Askrigg bullring

Click on images below to enlarge

Askrigg bullring

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Askrigg bullring

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36641

Parish: Askrigg

OS Grid Reference: SD948911

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Near to the market cross in Askrigg is the old iron bull ring set into a stone flag in the ground. In the 18th century and earlier, bulls would be tied here and then attacked or baited with dogs. A local historian wrote that “it used to be a custom in Askrigg for a man who wanted to fight to go and turn the bull ring over; if another man was feeling the same, he came and turned it back and they had a fight.” Source: Hartley, M & Ingilby, J (1953) Yorkshire Village. London: J M Dent & Sons

Location

In small cobbled triangle next to the village pump in the centre of Askrigg.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Askrigg. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside although sometimes cars park on top of it.


Related Timeline

Related Themes