Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Aysgarth War Memorial

Click on images below to enlarge

Aysgarth War Memorial - detail

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Aysgarth War Memorial

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36080

Parish: Aysgarth

OS Grid Reference: SE003884

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This memorial is one of the thousands set up after the enormous loss of life during the First World War. The limestone used to build it came from the township quarry at Seata and villagers joined together to carry the blocks down into the village. The words round the top are “ They Live, Heard, Felt, Died” and the tablet reads “Remember all who shared in the Great War. These of Aysgarth gave their lives James P Bell, Wm Helmsley, John Percival 1914-1918”. In 1951 following the Second World War, a further tablet was attached with the words “In grateful thanks for the safe return of all who served from this Township in the Second World War 1939-1945”. The memorial was damaged in a traffic accident in 2000 and restored in 2002 with a new iron streetlight on top made as a copy of the old one.

Location

Site lies in centre of Aysgarth village on north side of A684.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Aysgarth. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes