Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Beamsley Hospital

Click on images below to enlarge

Beamsley Hospital

YDNPA, 2004,

Beamsley Hospital - entrance

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Beamsley Hospital

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34406

Parish: Beamsley

OS Grid Reference: SE082530

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Beamsley Hospital was founded as almhouses for local women in 1593 by Lady Margaret Clifford. It was completed around 1650-60 by her daughter Lady Anne Clifford. The hospital consists of a circular chapel lit from clerestory windows. Around the chapel are arrayed seven radiating rooms. There are six other rooms in a long rectangular block through which is the entrance archway. The building was restored and altered in 1961.
Source:
Lemmon, W (1979) Bolton Abbey & the Wharfe. Derby: English Life Publications

Location

From roundabout at Bolton Bridge, follow A59 for half a mile toward Blubberhouses and Harrogate. Hospital is on left hand side of road after about half a mile. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Bridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes