Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Belvedere, Swinithwaite Hall

Click on images below to enlarge

Belvedere, Swinithwaite

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Belvedere, Swinithwaite Hall

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35811

Parish: West Witton

OS Grid Reference: SE032889

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

An octagonal belvedere built in 1792 by John Foss of Richmond for the owner of Swinithwaite Hall, T J Anderson. Such buildings were intended as decorative features within a park landscape and as view points. This example is two storeys high. The upper storey has a parapet walkway giving access to a room decorated with Neo-classical plasterwork and with a cast iron fireplace. From here the estate owner and his guests could dine in comfort while enjoying panoramic views of Wensleydale.
Source:
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

Dennison, E (2004) ‘An Historical Landscape Survey: The Swinithwaite Estate, West Witton’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp25-37

Location

Site lies close to road on north side of A684 about 3/4 mile west of Swinithwaite. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Swinithwaite. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes