Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Blakethwaite peat store

Click on images below to enlarge

Blakethwaite peat store

YDNPA, 2004, (GG103)


Return to previous page

Blakethwaite peat store

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36728

Parish: Melbecks

OS Grid Reference: NY937017

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This large peat house supplied fuel to Blakethwaite lead smelt mill just across Gunnerside Beck. The smelt mill began working from 1819 although it did not reach full capacity for two more years. The peat house was probably built around 1820 by Thomas Chippendale and Company who leased the Blakethwaite Mine. It is built of random rubble stone with worked stone corners. The building is approximately 42 metres long and 6.6 metres wide. It once had doorways in the gable ends while the side wall facing the beck has four surviving open arches. The peat was cut from the moorland above and slid down the hillside on a peat slide ready to be stacked under cover. Source: Clough, Robert T (1962) The Lead Smelting Mills of the Yorkshire Dales. Leeds: The Author

Location

From bridge in Gunnerside take public footpath along east side of Gill signed 'Gunnerside Gill'. Site is 3 miles along footpath on east side of beck.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Gunnerside. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Rough, stony footpath with steep slopes and a number of stiles.


Related Timeline

Related Themes