Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Bolton Abbey Hall

Click on images below to enlarge

Bolton Abbey Hall

YDNPA, 2004,

Bolton Abbey Hall - gatehouse

Robert White, 2004, (7370)


Return to previous page

Bolton Abbey Hall

Historical Environment Record No: MYD4330

Parish: Bolton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE073542

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Bolton Hall was built in the late 17th century and incorporates the original 14th century gatehouse to Bolton Priory. The house was altered and restored around 1840-43 by Sir Joseph Paxton for the Duke of Devonshire. Source: Pevsner, N & Radcliffe, E (1974) Yorkshire: the West Riding. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books

Location

From Bolton Abbey car park (charge) in centre of village follow signs to the Priory. Go through the 'Hole in the Wall' gate and descend steps. Follow path for 500 metres, hall is to left, east of the priory church tower.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Abbey. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steep steps then level, well-made footpaths with kissing gates.


Related Timeline

Related Themes