Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Bolton Priory Infirmary (The Old Rectory)

Click on images below to enlarge

Bolton Priory Infirmary

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Bolton Priory Infirmary (The Old Rectory)

Historical Environment Record No: MYD2141

Parish: Bolton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE074541

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This building incorporates part of the Infirmary to Bolton Priory dating to the 15th century. During the 16th century, the notable scientist Robert Boyle left a bequest to his nephew Charles, the second Earl of Burlington to be used for a charitable purpose. The Earl gave the site of the Priory Infirmary and a Grammar School was built in 1700 probably incorporating part of the ruined Infirmary. The Boyle School closed for a short period in the 19th century but was revived in 1864 when the first Rector of Bolton Church took it over. It continued as a school until 1874 when the building was sold to the Duke of Devonshire. It served as a rectory until 1978. It is now a private house. Source: Lemmon, W (1979) Bolton Abbey & the Wharfe. Derby: English Life Publications www.boltonabbey.com - website for the Bolton Abbey Estate

Location

From car park (charge) in centre of Bolton Abbey village follow signs to the Priory. Go through the 'Hole in the Wall' gate and descend steps. Follow footpath for 180 metres. The Infirmary is on the right. No public access. View from footpath.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Abbey. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steep steps then level, well-made footpaths with kissing gates.


Related Timeline

Related Themes