Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Boundary stone, Aysgarth

Click on images below to enlarge

Boundary stone, Aysgarth

© YDNPA, 2004, (RS40)


Return to previous page

Boundary stone, Aysgarth

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36560

Parish: Aysgarth

OS Grid Reference: SE024886

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A 19th century roadside boundary marker. The now almost completely illegible inscription once read “Here ends Aysgarth Bounds 1853”. Such stones marked the limit of a parish’s responsibility for the maintenance of the public highway. Source: Dobson, J Howard (1993) ‘Boundary Stones’ in Le Patourel, H E Jean et al (eds) (1993) Yorkshire Boundaries. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society pp53-57

Location

On north side of A684 between Heads Bank and Nellholme House, next to a field gateway and east of another milepost marked on OS map.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Aysgarth Falls turn. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside, but note few stopping places and busy road.


Related Timeline

Related Themes