Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Braithwaite Hall

Click on images below to enlarge

Braithwaite Hall - aerial photo

YDNPA, 2004, (154/11)

Braithwaite Hall

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Braithwaite Hall

Historical Environment Record No: MYD5146

Parish: East Witton Town

OS Grid Reference: SE117858

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Braithwaite Hall is an E-plan manor house dated to 1667. It is built of stone rubble with ashlar (finely dressed stone) dressings and a stone slate roof. The manor of Braithwaite was first mentioned in 1475 and belonged to the much larger manor of Middleham. In the 16th and 17th centuries it seems to have been let to a number of different tenants. Its tenants exploited the estates mineral resources extensively in particular mining coal and quarrying and burning limestone. The property now belongs to the National Trust and can be visited by appointment.

Location

Take the minor road from Middleham to Coverham. After 1 3/4 miles take a left turn into Hanghow Lane. After just over a mile the hall can be seen on the right. Visits by appointment only. See www.nationaltrust.org.uk for details.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Coverham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside. See www.nationaltrust.org.uk for details on visiting the hall.


Related Timeline

Related Themes