Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Burnsall Bridge

Click on images below to enlarge

Burnsall Bridge

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Burnsall Bridge

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34475

Parish: Burnsall

OS Grid Reference: SE032611

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The original stone bridge was built in 1609 thanks to a gift of money from local benefactor Sir William Craven who also paid for Burnsall Grammar School. In 1752 it was described as being “a good bridge and all paved”. It was restored or possibly rebuilt in 1884 following flood damage, It has three segmental arches with a smaller one to each side. Triangular section cutwaters rise into pedestrian retreats which are now very necessary since Burnsall is a popular destination on summer weekends and the bridge carries a lot of motor traffic.

Location

Spans river in Burnsall on road from village to Appletreewick. Best viewed from village green.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Burnsall. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes