Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Burnsall Compensation Taps

Click on images below to enlarge

Burnsall compensation tap

© YDNPA, 2004,

Burnsall compensation tap

© YDNPA, 2004,

Burnsall compensation tap and trough

© YDNPA, 2004, (TR36)


Return to previous page

Burnsall Compensation Taps

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36657

Parish: Burnsall

OS Grid Reference: various

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/

Description

The building of the reservoirs at Lower Barden (operational 1860) and Upper Barden (1882) led to a reduction in the supply of water to Burnsall from the fells above. Bradford Corporation Water Works bought up two water mills on the Joy Beck that no longer had an adequate supply of water to run them. They then agreed to pipe water to three points in the village for domestic use. The three taps were housed within carved stone surrounds with a tap and double stone cattle trough at Holly House, a tap on the Green and another on Mill Lane.
Source:
Lodge, Eric (1994) A Wharfedale Village. Burnsall: The Author

Location

All three lie beside the B6160 running through Burnsall village. One opposite the parish church, one with trough on sharp bend opposite The Old Cobblers cottage, one opposite the village café.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Burnsall. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

All viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes