Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Burnsall Grammar School

Click on images below to enlarge

Burnsall Grammar School

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Burnsall Grammar School

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34491

Parish: Burnsall

OS Grid Reference: SE033615

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The Old Grammar School in Burnsall still houses the local primary school. It was built in 1601 next to the church with a house for the master and dormitories for boarders. The money for the school was donated by William Craven, Lord Mayor of London, who was born in Burnsall. A panel over the door records its founder “William Craven Alderman of London founder of this Schoole Anno Dmi 1601”.

The school is built of ashlar (finely dressed) masonry with a graduated stone slate roof. It is two storeys high and there are 19th century and later additions.
Source:
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley:Smith Settle

Stockdale, Alan & Townend, John (2002) Burnsall School. Burnsall: Trustees of Burnsall School

Location

Burnsall is on B6160 3 miles from Threshfield and 8 miles from Bolton Bridge. School is on east side of B6160 next to the village church. View from road. No public access.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Burnsall. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes