Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Burnsall Methodist Chapel

Click on images below to enlarge

Burnsall Methodist chapel

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Burnsall Methodist Chapel

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34484

Parish: Burnsall

OS Grid Reference: SE032613

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Burnsall Methodist chapel dominates the main road through the village and was once a thriving place of worship. It replaced an earlier chapel built nearby in 1840. The new chapel was designed by Skipton-based architect James Hartley and opened in 1902. It was built of coursed squared stone from Bingley with Guiseley stone dressings. Maintenance costs and a falling congregation meant that the chapel eventually had to close. Source: Lodge, Eric (1994) A Wharfedale Village. Burnsall: The Author http://www.forsaith-oxon.demon.co.uk/methodist-heritage/index.html - Methodist Heritage website

Location

Burnsall is on B6160 3 miles from Threshfield and 8 miles from Bolton Bridge. Chapel is on east side of B6160 200 metres south of the village church and school. View from road. No public access.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Burnsall. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes