Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Burtersett candle mill

Click on images below to enlarge

Burtersett candle mill

© YDNPA, 2004, (WY100)


Return to previous page

Burtersett candle mill

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36049

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD894894

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A small, four-storey building on a sloping site adjacent to a stream which is partly canalised and bridged over to form a platform east of the building. The mill is built of roughly coursed mortared sandstone rubble with massive roughly dressed quoins. The roof is of sandstone slates laid in diminishing courses and has a distinctive interlocking ‘wrestler’ ridge. It is recorded as being a silk mill in the first half of the 19th century but by the end of the century the ‘old silk mill’ was the site of a tallow candle making business operated by William Metcalfe (Candle Willy). Jerry Horn of Burtersett took over the business from William in 1913 and the business ended with him. Source: Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes