Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Capple Bank Park

Click on images below to enlarge

Wall, Capple Bank Park

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Capple Bank Park

Historical Environment Record No: MYD4454

Parish: West Witton

OS Grid Reference: SE071878

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Capple Bank Park was one of the seven deer parks belonging to the Medieval Lordship of Middleham. When first mentioned in documents dating to 1465 it is recorded as being a ‘new park’. It was originally enclosed with a stone wall and was stocked with deer for hunting and venison. Sections of the wall can still be seen such as that near Witton Steeps. The park would once have had a hunting lodge placed on a high point where the lord’s men could keep an eye out for poachers. By the later middle ages, such deer parks were mainly given over to the grazing of cattle and occasionally sheep.

Location

From West Witton take the road signposted to Melmerby. Continue up Witton Steeps to Penhill Farm turn (3/4 mile. Take footpath on north side of road heading back toward West Witton. The wall of the park can be viewed alongside the path.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: West Witton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Footpath is muddy in places.