Skip primary navigation

Skip secondary navigation

Carperby Market Cross

Click on images below to enlarge

Carperby cross

© Robert White, 2004, (2630)

Carperby cross - detail

© Robert White, (2631)

Return to previous page

Carperby Market Cross

Historical Environment Record No: MYD4458

Parish: Carperby cum Thoresby

OS Grid Reference: SE006897

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:


A stone cross inscribed ‘1674’ on one face and ‘1843’ on the opposite face. The 19th century date records when the probable market cross was restored. The base is formed of seven square steps and set into it is an octagonal cross shaft tapering towards the base. On the ends of each of the two horizontal cross arms a face is carved. Carperby received its market charter in 1305, one of the earliest in the northern dales. This allowed the holding of a weekly market and two fairs, one on the Saints Day of St. James in July and one on Saint Andrew’s day in November. There is some suggestion that this market may have fallen into disuse after 1587 when Askrigg began to acquire the greater focus of commercial activity in the upper dale, only to be revived once again in the 17th century. This market cross, with its date of 1674 may possibly commemorate this re-activity.


The cross is located on a triangle of grass towards the western end of the village, on the north side of the main road through the village.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Carperby. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.


Viewable from roadside.

Related Timeline

Related Themes