Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Cast iron milepost, B6255

Click on images below to enlarge

Milepost, B6255

© YDNPA, 2004, (RS188)


Return to previous page

Cast iron milepost, B6255

Historical Environment Record No: MYD24632

Parish: Ingleton

OS Grid Reference: SD722754

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

One of several examples surviving along the route of the Richmond to Lancaster Turnpike built in 1751. The triangular cast iron examples date to around 1825 and carry the words ‘Lancaster and Richmond Road’ along with the parish in the semicircular top panel. Distances to the nearest market towns are given on the triangular sides, in this instance ‘Ingleton 2 ¼ miles Hawes 14 miles’ along with the distances to Lancaster and Richmond.
Source:
Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing

Location

Approaching from Ingleton on B6255 the milestone is just under 1 mile north of entrance to White Scar Cave. Look out for a ruined building on the left followed by a large bush/straggly tree.The milestone is on the right nearly opposite the bush.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Ingleton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside but note lack of stopping places on this busy road.


Related Timeline

Related Themes