Skip primary navigation

Skip secondary navigation

Castlehaw Royal Observer Corps Post

Click on images below to enlarge

Castlehaw - aerial photo

© YDNPA, 2004, (268/1)

Return to previous page

Castlehaw Royal Observer Corps Post

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36549

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD662923

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:


This ROC post was opened in 1938 and was part of No 29 Group based at Lancaster. In 1943 it was equipped as a ‘Granite’ post, this was the code name for posts built on higher ground and supplied with flares to warn friendly aircraft of nearby hills. In 1965 an underground bunker was built here as part of a low level early warning system in the event of a nuclear attack. It was closed in 1968. Source: Wood, Derek (1992) Attack Warning Red: Royal Observer Corps and Defence of Britain 1925 to 1992. Portsmouth: Carmichael & Sweet


East side of Sedbergh. After junction Back Lane and Main Street take public footpath heading north signposted 'Castlehaw 1/4 mile'. After 270 metres take small gate on right. Site is directly ahead 100 metres across the field. Marked by concrete cover.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.


Sloping footpath, rough in places. Narrow gate and sloping grassy field to cross. Step stile onto site.

Related Timeline

Related Themes