Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Cavendish Pavilion

Click on images below to enlarge

Cavendish Pavilion

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Cavendish Pavilion

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36650

Parish: Bolton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE077552

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The Cavendish Pavilion on the Bolton Abbey estate was originally built in 1890 as a tea room. Refreshments were served to the thousands of visitors arriving by train who came to walk through the nearby woods. A photograph taken in the 1920s shows a rather spartan interior with long cloth-covered trestle tables and wooden stools and benches. When local historians Ella Pontefract and Marie Hartley visited it in the 1930s they described it as “…a café with a continental air”. It was recently enlarged.
Source:
Pontefract, E & Hartley, M (1988) Wharfedale. Otley: Smith Settle

Location

Turn into car park entrance beside B6160 just north of Bolton Abbey village. The pavilion is signposted from here and is about a mile further on. Car park charge (See www.boltonabbey.com for opening times and charges).

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Abbey. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

See www.boltonabbey.com for accessible facilities.


Related Timeline

Related Themes