Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Coverham Abbey

Click on images below to enlarge

Coverham Abbey

© Robert White, 2004, (2369)

Coverham Abbey - aerial photo

© YDNPA, 2004, (236/27)


Return to previous page

Coverham Abbey

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34652

Parish: Coverham with Agglethorpe

OS Grid Reference: SE106863

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Building work started at Coverham Abbey, a Premonstratensian house, sometime between 1196 and 1202, after the monks had transferred from their original site at Swainby in the Vale of Mowbray, possibly to be nearer their patrons based at Middleham Castle. The abbey was damaged by Scottish raiders in 1331-32. The early 16th century abbots’ quarters and guesthouse were converted into a private house after the Dissolution. The north range was rebuilt as a compact but high quality house around 1800. Its garden contains the remains of the south arcade of the abbey church. The gatehouse also survives but the fishponds to the east were built over in the early 1980s. North of the parish church at Coverham are the earthworks of a Medieval mill pond and farm complex.
Source:
White, Robert (2002) The Yorkshire Dales. A Landscape Through Time. Ilkley: Great Northern Books [‘The monasteries’ pp56-62]

Location

From Middleham take Coverham Lane south west 1 mile to footpath on left hand side of road to Coverham. No access to ruins. View from footpath.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Middleham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Footpath is rough and muddy in places.


Related Timeline

Related Themes