Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Cowgill Bridge

Click on images below to enlarge

Cowgill Bridge - inscription

© YDNPA, 2004, (RS48)


Return to previous page

Cowgill Bridge

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34702

Parish: Dent

OS Grid Reference: SD756869

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A public road bridge over the River Dee carrying a 1702 datestone and inscription on its north parapet. It is built of coursed sandstone rubble with low-pitched parapet copings and has a low segmental single arch with rubble voussoirs. The parapets are splayed outwards at the west end. The datestone reads ‘THIS BRIDG REPERED AT THE CHARG OF TH WEST RIDING A:D 1702’ Source: Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing

Location

Carries main road from Newby Head to Sedbergh up Dentdale. Bridge lies next to Cowgill Chapel. 3/4 mile from Dent Station, follow signs to Dent.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Dent Station or Dent. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria. information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes