Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Dent Head viaduct

Click on images below to enlarge

Dent Head viaduct

Robert White, 2004, (7350)


Return to previous page

Dent Head viaduct

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35902

Parish: Dent

OS Grid Reference: SD778844

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Railway viaduct carrying the Settle-Carlisle railway line over the head of the dale. It was built around 1869-75 for the Midland Railway Company. The viaduct is built from massive blocks of Dent marble and crosses over the quarry that produced it. The owners of the quarry, Dent Marble Works were paid 1300 in compensation for disruption to their business.
Source:
Armstrong, Jean (1982) 'Dent Marble Works' SDHS Occ Newsletter. No 3 pp11-12

Boulton, David (1985) Discovering Upper Dentdale. Dent: Dales Historical Monographs

Jenkinson, David (1980) Rails in the Fells. Seaton: Peco Publications

Location

From Dent Station take road south 1/2 mile to Lea Yeat. Turn left. Road passes under viaduct after 2 miles.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village:Dent Station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes