Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Dry stone wall, Knights Templar Estate

Click on images below to enlarge

Dry stone wall, Knights Templar Estate

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Dry stone wall, Knights Templar Estate

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36699

Parish: West Witton

OS Grid Reference: SE041889

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Walls with large stones or orthostats standing on end in their base seem to date from the early post-Medieval period or possibly even earlier. Such large stones would have had to have been cleared from fields before cultivation using a plough could go ahead. The Knights Templar Preceptory at the heart of this estate is first mentioned in the period 1170-1181.
Source:
Dennison, E (2004) ‘An Historical Landscape Survey: The Swinithwaite Estate, West Witton’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp25-37

Location

At Swinithwaite on B6160 take Hargill lane (almost opposite Swinithwaite Hall). Wall lies on right hand side of lane after about 300 metres.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Swinithwaite. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Lane is well surfaced but uneven in places.


Related Timeline

Related Themes