Historical Environment Record No: MYD34854
Parish: Ellerton Abbey
OS Grid Reference: SE079973
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
This was a small house of Cistercian nuns, founded in the reign of Henry II by Warner, steward of the earls of Richmond. It was always a small, poorly endowed house. Today, all that is visible is a ruined 15th century or earlier church. It has a narrow aisle-less nave and choir and a west tower. The church is surrounded by indistinct earthworks but geophysical survey has traced the details of the cloister and other buildings. A grand country house or shooting lodge was built nearby in 1830 and named ‘Ellerton Abbey’. The tower of the Priory church appears to have been rebuilt as a romantic ruin sometime during the 19th century.
White, Robert (2002) The Yorkshire Dales. A Landscape Through Time. Ilkley: Great Northern Books [‘The monasteries’ pp56-62]
Site lies just over 2 miles east of Grinton on north side of B6270. No public access. View from roadside, but note few stopping places on this busy road.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Grinton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Viewable from roadside, but note few stopping places on this busy road.