Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Ellerton Toll House


Return to previous page

Ellerton Toll House

Historical Environment Record No: MYD16446

Parish: Ellerton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE068974

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The Reeth to Richmond turnpike road was built during the mid-1830s. Investors in such schemes made a return on their money by collecting tolls from travellers on the new or improved routes usually by setting up toll-gates or bars. Because of landslips this particular turnpike needed to be constantly maintained and tolls were collected throughout its life until the trust ended in 1880. One of the toll bars along with the cottage for the toll collector was built at Haggs Gill between Grinton and Ellerton and the collection of tolls began there in 1837. The toll-gatekeeper at the time was a James Cooper who supplemented his income by making shoes. The cottage is now a private home.
Source:
Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing

Location

From Grinton take B6270 east for 1 1/2 miles. Site lies on left hand side of road. Now called The Gate House Cottage. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Grinton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside, but note few stopping places and fast traffic.


Related Timeline

Related Themes