Historical Environment Record No: MYD36587
Parish: Horton in Ribblesdale
OS Grid Reference: SD802701
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
The quarry workers’ cottages at Foredale are a prominent feature of the landscape in this part of Ribblesdale. The quarry the occupants worked produced limestone for the nearby lime burning industry. The quarry was opened in 1878 and sold in 1882 to a newly formed company called the Ribblesdale Lime and Flag Quarry Co Ltd. There was no mention of the cottages at this time but they do appear on the 1909 OS map for the area. It is likely that they were built in the 1890s and were originally a shorter row, extended at a later date.
On B6479 north from Settle. After about 4 miles turn left, signposted Helwith Bridge and Austwick. After about 200 metres turn right, signposted Arcow Quarry. There is a car park just after this turning. Foredale is a mile further on (no parking).
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Settle. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Steeply sloping surfaced track from Helwith Bridge car park.