Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Fremington corn mill, Swaledale

Click on images below to enlarge

Fremington corn mill

YDNPA, 2004,

Fremington corn mill - water wheel

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Fremington corn mill, Swaledale

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35475

Parish: Reeth, Fremington & Healaugh

OS Grid Reference: SE043990

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The first record of a mill in Fremington dates to 1288. By 1331 part of it had been acquired by Bridlington Priory from the manorial lord. The present building was in existence by 1751 and consisted of the mill, a corn drying kiln and a house for the miller. The mill was driven by a low breastshot water wheel nearly 5 metres in diameter. It ran two pairs of millstones. The wheel is entirely made from timber as is the axle dating it to before the 19th century when most mill wheels were refurbished with iron components. The present building evolved from the mid-18th century structure with the wheel on the outside, to its present form with the wheel enclosed by around 1900. Records show that sometime between 1897 and 1909 the miller went out of business and the mill closed.
Source:
Matkin, Robert, B (1976) 'Discovering A Dales Water Mill' The Dalesman. Vol 38 pp608-611

Location

Take B6270 east from Reeth. About 200 metres after crossing Reeth Bridge take footpath on right signed to Grinton. Mill is to left of footpath after 100 metres.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Reeth. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Kissing gate. Path is muddy and uneven.


Related Timeline

Related Themes