Friar’s Head, Winterburn
Historical Environment Record No: MYD3972
Parish: Flasby with Winterburn
OS Grid Reference: SD932575
The manor of Winterburn was gifted to Furness Abbey during the 12th century. Nearby Winterburn Grange was the abbey’s administrative centre for the surrounding estates and Friar’s Head was supposedly a hunting lodge for the Abbots of Furness. The present building has a much later date however. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries a long dispute arose over Friar’s Head between its tenants under the Abbey, the Proctor family, and the Earl of Cumberland who tried to put his own tenants in. The three-storey house now at Friar’s Head was eventually built by Stephen Proctor around 1590. It is the most prominent example of a late Tudor gentry house in the Dales.
Gill, Harry M (1988) The History of Gargrave. The Ecclesiastical Parish of Gargrave Vol 2. Sheffield: Sheffield City Polytechnic
White, Robert (2002) The Yorkshire Dales. A Landscape Through Time. Ilkley: Great Northern Books
From A65 in Gargrave, take Eshton Road (signed to Malham). After Eshton Hall, take first right signed Winterburn. Hall is about a mile from this turning on left hand side. No public access. View from roadside.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Eshton or Hetton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Viewable from roadside.