Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Friend's Meeting House, Brigflatts

Click on images below to enlarge

Friend's Meeting House, Brigflatts

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Friend's Meeting House, Brigflatts

Historical Environment Record No: MYD3625

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD640911

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

When George Fox preached in Sedbergh in 1652 he introduced a religious movement which rapidly swept through the surrounding dales. The Friends’ Meeting House at Brigflatts is the third oldest Quaker meeting house in the country. It was built in 1675 and is still used for worship by the local Quaker congregation.

The meeting house is built of mixed random stone rubble, mostly whitewashed with a graduated stone slate roof. It is single storied and has a simple rectangular plan with an integral stone cottage at the west end and a two-storey porch where the two buildings meet. The date stone over the outer doorway is a 20th century replica of the original and reads “Anno/ Do/ 1675”.

Inside, the meeting house has panelled walls and plain benches. The gallery to the north side and both ends was added in 1711. At the base of the gallery staircase, wooden gates form an enclosure for sheepdogs. The adjoining cottage is a low two-storied structure and is used as the Warden’s house.
Source:
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle

Rooksby, Donald A (1994) The Man in Leather Breeches. The Quakers in North-west England:1. Colwyn Bay: The Author

Location

A683 Sedbergh to Kirkby Lonsdale. Brigflatts is down a left hand turning 9 1/2 miles from Sedbergh. 200 metres down lane, Meeting House is on left in middle of village. Open daily. No parking in village.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

200 metres along level tarmac road from A684 and nearest layby parking.


Related Timeline

Related Themes