Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Gearstones

Click on images below to enlarge

Gearstones

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Gearstones

Historical Environment Record No: MYD24570

Parish: Ingleton

OS Grid Reference: SD780799

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Gearstones Inn (now Lodge) and the little settlement around it was once the site of a busy weekly market as well as regular cattle and sheep fairs. Gearstones was on an important 18th century droving route running from the north down into Ribblesdale. Drovers either went on to Horton-in-Ribblesdale and then Settle from where their stock could go to markets at Clitheroe, Blackburn and Preston, or they could travel down to Ingleton and on to Lancaster. Droving inns such as the one at Gearstones provided overnight accommodation as well as a meeting point where business could be undertaken. The inn closed in 1911. Source: Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing

Location

Located on the B6255 between Ribblehead and Hawes. It is on the right hand side about 1 mile north of the junction with the B6479 to Horton in Ribblesdale.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Ribblehead Station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes