Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Giant's Graves

Click on images below to enlarge

Giant's Graves

© YDNPA, 2004, (GG3)


Return to previous page

Giant's Graves

Historical Environment Record No: MYD3851

Parish: Halton Gill

OS Grid Reference: SD856733

Dale: Upper Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Giantís Graves round barrow was excavated in 1936. Large amounts of stone had already be removed for building local walls and there may also have been an early 19th century excavation so the site was badly mutilated, but the remains of two stone flag-built burial cists (boxes) were discovered within the large round mound. Fragments of human bone and teeth were excavated in one of these cists and so it is likely that this monument is in fact a Neolithic round barrow or possibly even a chambered cairn.
Source:
Bennett, W (1937) 'Giants' Graves, Penygent' Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 33 pp318-319

Feather, S W & Manby, T G (1970) 'Prehistoric Chambered Tombs of the Pennines' Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 42 p396-397

Location

From Stainforth, take Goat Lane and Silverdale Rd north toward Halton Gill. Site lies on right hand side of road after 4 1/4 miles and about 100 metres along a public footpath.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Stainforth. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information

Accessibility

Path is rough and muddy. Stile into field.


Related Timeline

Related Themes