Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Grassington deserted medieval village

Click on images below to enlarge

Grassington deserted Medieval village - aerial photo

© YDNPA, 2004, (336/3)


Return to previous page

Grassington deserted medieval village

Historical Environment Record No: MYD27331

Parish: Grassington

OS Grid Reference: SD999650

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

In a field known locally as ‘Old Grassington’ or ‘The Cove’ lie the remains of probably the original Medieval settlement of Grassington. A series of enclosures and rectangular building platforms can easily be made out in the pastures north of Town Head Farm. Limited excavations in the 1960s uncovered a midden full of 14th century and later pottery and the remains of a row of three rectangular buildings built into the wall around the field, one with a paved slab floor.
Source:
King, Alan et al (1995) Early Grassington. An Archaeological and Historical Trail. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society

Raistrick, A (1937) ‘Prehistoric cultivations at Grassington, West Yorkshire’ Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 33 pp166-174

Location

From Grassington Market Place go up hill, turn left onto Chapel Street and at Bank Lane follow the ""Dales Way"" footpath signs. About 3/4 mile from the Market Place the footpath goes across the site of the village.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Footpath over rough fields with some awkward squeeze stiles and step stiles with lambing gates.


Related Timeline

Related Themes