Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Hartlington Trough

Click on images below to enlarge

Hartlington trough

© YDNPA, 2004, (TR2)


Return to previous page

Hartlington Trough

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36550

Parish: Hartlington

OS Grid Reference: SE039610

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Stone cattle trough of probable 19th century date fed by a natural stream. Inscribed with the following Latin text “DE TORRENTE IN VIA BIBET PROPTERRA EXALTABIT CAPUT”. This comes from the Bible, Psalm 110 verse 7. It translates as “ He shall drink of the brook in the way; therefore shall he lift up the head”. It seems to have been installed after the building of the present Hartlington Hall in 1894. Its owner, Henry Dawson was a strong Anglo-Catholic. Source: Heynemann, Mabel Blundell (1946) Appletreewick and District. Shipley: Outhwaite Bros

Location

About half a mile east of Burnsall, on roadside adjacent to Hartlington Hall boundary wall between Wharfe House Farm and Spout House. On north side of road.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Settle. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes