Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Hawes Auction Mart

Click on images below to enlarge

Hawes Auction Mart

YDNPA, 2004,

Hawes Auction Mart - aerial photo

YDNPA, 2004, (095/20)


Return to previous page

Hawes Auction Mart

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36571

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD877897

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The town of Hawes had a well-established cattle market in the centre of the town, but from 1887 a separate market site was established on the Burtersett Road by a group of local farmers and traders. The town centre market continued on until the First World War but with less and less trade. The Farmers Mart became a limited company in 1914 and shares were offered to local farmers. Business has continued to thrive although the Foot and Mouth crisis of 2002 affected trade badly. Since then, plans for developing and diversifying the site have been put in place. Source: Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson www.hawesauctionmart.co.uk/ - website for the Hawes Auction Mart

Location

Site lies at east end of Hawes on A684. Public footpath to Gayle runs through site.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Part viewable from roadside pavement. Concrete and tarmac path through site.


Related Timeline

Related Themes