Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Hawes Station

Click on images below to enlarge

Hawes Station

© YDNPA, 2004,

Hawes Station - aerial photo

© YDNPA, 2004, (YDP125/36)


Return to previous page

Hawes Station

Historical Environment Record No: MYD4610

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD876899

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The Wensleydale Railway Line built by the North Eastern Railway Company (NER) met up with a branch line to the Midland Railway’s Settle-Carlisle Line at Hawes so the station there was built as a joint project. The station, after some delays, was completed in 1878. It was designed in the Midland Railway’s ornate ‘Derby Gothic’ style with decorated wooden barge boards, pitched local sandstone walls with dressed stone quoins, lintels and window surrounds and Welsh slate roofs. On the opposite side to the main station building was a small rectangular platform shelter. The station master’s house was set some distance away to the south west of the main platform building and there is a weigh bridge building nearby. The station buildings and goods shed were extended in 1998 by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and now house the Dales Countryside Museum. Source: Hallas, Christine (2002) The Wensleydale Railway. Ilkley: Great Northern Books Jenkinson, David (1980) Rails in the Fells. Seaton: Peco Publications

Location

Part of the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes. Open daily. Contact hawes@yorkshiredales.org.uk for details of charges and opening times.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Fully accessible. Contact hawes@yorkshiredales.org.uk for further details.