Hebden cotton mill
Historical Environment Record No: MYD15226
OS Grid Reference: SE028624
Dale: Lower Wharfedale
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
In 1791 a cotton mill was built in Hebden, next to the old corn mill. It measured internally 30 metres by 9 metres and could house up to 18 spinning frames on each of its three floors. It passed through the hands of several owners until in 1830 it was bought by Joseph Mason who also owned the successful mill at Linton. Hebden Mill then began to diversify production including worsted power loom weaving as well as mixed spinning, drawing and winding. Accommodation for its workers was built nearby and other houses were found by converting and extending an existing 17th century farmhouse along Brook Street.
In the end, water powered rural mills such as this one could not compete with their steam powered rivals and in 1870 the mill closed down. It had two brief revivals and then the mill was used to provide hydroelectric power to the village until the 1950s after which the mill was abandoned. It was completely demolished in 1967. Only the mill workers’ cottages and the 18th century mill bell that called their occupants to work survive.
Ingle, George (1997) Yorkshire Cotton. The Yorkshire Cotton Industry, 1780-1835. Lancaster: Carnegie Publishing
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group
Turn right into village off the B6265 Grassington to Pateley Bridge road. Follow road through village for 1/4 mile to Mill Bridge. From here a public footpath leads past the site of the mill, now a private garden.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Hebden. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Footpath follows a well surfaced driveway as it passes beside the modern houses at Mill Bridge. No parking.