Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

High Mill, Bainbridge

Click on images below to enlarge

High Mill, Bainbridge

© YDNPA, 2004. ,

High Mill, Bainbridge - back

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

High Mill, Bainbridge

Historical Environment Record No: MYD29277

Parish: Bainbridge

OS Grid Reference: SD934901

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Up until the 1890’s, High Mill was the village corn mill, after which it became a sawmill. In 1912 the Bainbridge Electric Lighting Company took over the site. They had William Handley Burton of West Mill, Askrigg install a Vortex water turbine manufactured by Gilkes of Kendal. The turbine was rated at 10 Horse Power and the cost of bringing Bainbridge an electricity supply was £414 “…being the value of the turbine, battery, generator, cable and works”.

The company prospered and by 1929 was running 12 street lamps and supplying electricity to 60 private consumers. Demand grew and in 1943 the company had to put in a diesel engine to provide extra power. The National Grid reached Upper Wensleydale a few years later and the mill returned to being a sawmill, driven by the old water turbine. It continued in this use until 1998.
Source:
Hay, T T (2000) 'Hydroelectricity Generation in the Yorkshire Dales' The Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist. No 26 pp35-53

Location

Enter south end of Bainbridge on A684. Site lies immediately to right of bridge over river, next to butcher's shop. No public access. View from roadside. Mill race viewable from public footpath running south to Gill Edge. Interpretation board.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bainbridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.