Skip primary navigation

Skip secondary navigation

Highfield Villas, Sedbergh

Click on images below to enlarge

Highfield Villas, Sedbergh

YDNPA, 2004,

Highfield Villas, Sedbergh

YDNPA, 2004,

Return to previous page

Highfield Villas, Sedbergh

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36557

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD656922

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:


With an 1883 datestone these are probably the oldest surviving buildings in Cumbria built from shuttered concrete. Up until the end of the 18th century, cement was little different to that first developed by the Romans. During the 19th century, new mixtures were tried and the Portland Cement company perfected a mix incorporating calcined and finely ground clay. Modern quick setting cement had been born and by the late 19th century the first houses with cement walls were being built in situ. The method was to construct wooden shuttering into which the cement was poured. Once dried and the shuttering removed, the surface could be painted as desired. Boys from Sedbergh School were lodged in the northernmost villa (now the Masonic Hall) from 1915 to 1927.


Enter western end of Sedbergh on A684. Take left hand turn just before the Dalesman pub. Follow Howgill Lane north. Houses are 150 metres further on just after junction with Bainbridge Road. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.


Viewable from roadside pavement.

Related Timeline

Related Themes