Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Highway District milestone, Bolton Abbey

Click on images below to enlarge

Highway District milestone, Bolton Abbey

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Highway District milestone, Bolton Abbey

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36702

Parish: Bolton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE071530

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Triangular section milestone. White painted with regularly cut lettering picked out in black ‘Harrowgate’ ‘Addingham’. There are several similar milestones in the Craven area of the National Park and they may have been erected during the life of the East Staincliffe Highway District (1864 to 1895).

Location

Located beside small road bridge at Bolton Bridge, 100 metres south of the Devonshire Hotel. A later cast iron milepost stands on the opposite side of the road.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Bridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside pavement.


Related Timeline

Related Themes