Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Ingleborough estate saw mill

Click on images below to enlarge

Saw mill, Clapham

© YDNPA, 2004, (CM1)

Saw mill, Clapham - turbine

© YDNPA, 2004, (CM7)


Return to previous page

Ingleborough estate saw mill

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36622

Parish: Clapham

OS Grid Reference: SD745695

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Perhaps the earliest example of hydroelectricity generation in the Yorkshire Dales occurred on the Farrer family’s Ingleborough Estate in Clapham. In 1893, they equipped their water turbine powered estate saw mill with a dynamo. The Farrers used it to run electric lights at Ingleborough Hall as well as in other houses in the village. In 1895 they also provided ten electric street lights for the village. The original turbine was replaced in 1907 and it continued to drive the saw bench and a dynamo, which charged batteries for electric lighting. The turbine survives but is now only used to drive the saw bench. In 1938 a small power house was built nearby housing a second turbine. This still generates enough electricity to heat the estate office. Source: Hay, T T (2000) 'Hydroelectricity Generation in the Yorkshire Dales' The Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist. No 26 pp35-53

Location

The saw mill is about 400 metres from the National Park car park (charge)in Clapham. At the car park entrance turn right. Follow the road past the church and across a bridge. At the junction turn right and follow the road round to the left. The sawmill is a short distance further on the right. No public access. It can be viewed from the gateway.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Clapham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes