Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Keld United Reform Church

Click on images below to enlarge

Keld United Reform Church

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Keld United Reform Church

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35445

Parish: Muker

OS Grid Reference: NY892011

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Keld United Reform Church was built in 1860, replacing an Independent Chapel built in 1789. The latter was built after an itinerant preacher, Edward Stillman, so impressed the locals that they asked him to stay. He raised the 700 needed to build the first chapel by walking to London and back. The replacement church consists of a single storey chapel with a two storey manse to one side and wrought iron railings. Inside the chapel are the original pews and a panelled gallery supported on cast iron columns.
Source:
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

http://www.urc.org.uk/ - official website of the United Reform Church

http://users.argonet.co.uk/gmb/keldchapel/ - Keld URC website

Location

From B6270 take turn signed 'Keld only'. Church is on right hand side in centre of village.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Keld. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes