Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Langcliffe High Mill

Click on images below to enlarge

Langcliffe High Mill

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Langcliffe High Mill

Historical Environment Record No: MYD25334

Parish: Langcliffe

OS Grid Reference: SD816650

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This is one of Yorkshire’s earliest and largest cotton spinning mills. It was built in 1783-4 by Claytons and Walshman and had early Arkwright cotton spinning machines installed. The original mill had 14 bays and was five storeys high. In the early 19th century it was greatly enlarged when a steam engine was brought in to supplement the water power. The company began weaving cotton in the 1820s with the power looms eventually being housed in an additional single storey building known as Langcliffe Shed built around 1840 less than half a mile down stream. The business closed down in the mid-1950s.
Source:
Ingle, George (1997) Yorkshire Cotton. The Yorkshire Cotton Industry, 1780-1835. Lancaster: Carnegie Publishing

Location

From B6479 at Langcliffe take public footpath heading west down narrow walled lane. Continue on tarmac road past caravan park entrance to mill. Mill is about 450 metres from Langcliffe village.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Langcliffe. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from B6479 at Langcliffe. Steps down to path at Langcliffe end. Then a railway bridge with steep steps and rough and muddy underfoot until reach tarmac road by caravan park.


Related Timeline

Related Themes