Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Langcliffe memorial fountain basin

Click on images below to enlarge

Langcliffe fountain

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Langcliffe memorial fountain basin

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35221

Parish: Langcliffe

OS Grid Reference: SD821650

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

An 18th or early 19th century fountain built from stone. It has an octagonal basin each side carved with a recessed panel. The fountain head was replaced in 1920 with a cross when it was adapted as a village First World War memorial. The design was chosen by relatives of the eleven village men killed during the First World War. The names of the four men killed during the Second World War were not added until 1995. For many years the fountain had been used to water cattle and it was not thought appropriate until then.
Source:
The Langcliffe Millennium Group (2000) Langcliffe. Settle: Hudson History

Location

Sited in Langcliffe village off the B6479 north from Settle. Take turn signed for Langcliffe. The fountain is about 90 metres along this lane on the left.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Langcliffe. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.