Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Lime kiln near St Simon's Chapel

Click on images below to enlarge

Lime kiln near St Simon's Chapel

© YDNPA, 2004, (SSC23)


Return to previous page

Lime kiln near St Simon's Chapel

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34521

Parish: Caldbergh with East Scrafton

OS Grid Reference: SE086849

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This lime kiln is sited close to the Medieval St Simonís Chapel. It is circular in plan with a segmental arch above the draw hole opening. The lime kiln is unusual in having traces of a date, possibly 1786, roughly inscribed on the east springer of the draw hole opening.

Field lime kilns such as this one were built to burn limestone. The quicklime produced was then slaked with water to produce calcium hydroxide (slaked lime). This was mostly used to improve grassland by reducing the acidity of the soil, especially of intake land or reclaimed moorland during the enclosures of the 18th and 19th centuries. Slaked lime was also an important ingredient in making lime mortar.
Source:
Johnson, David (2002) Limestone Industries of the Yorkshire Dales. Stroud: Tempus

Location

From the East Witton to West Scrafton road, take public footpath about 1 mile east of West Scrafton, signed to St Simon's Bridge. Kiln lies near chapel 200 metres down path.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Caldbergh or West Scrafton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Footpath is rough and muddy in places and has steep descent to river.


Related Timeline

Related Themes