Historical Environment Record No: MYD15186
OS Grid Reference: SE001633
Dale: Lower Wharfedale
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
The concrete retaining walls of Linton Mill now support a housing development called ‘Linton Falls’. A corn mill has probably stood on this site from Medieval times. In 1788, Robert Hargreaves & Co of Addingham built a worsted-spinning mill there. Soon after a new tenant, Samuel Gill, and until 1804, his partner James Parker, turned the mill over to spinning cotton. By 1830 it had returned to worsted spinning under the ownership of J & W Birkbeck. Birkbecks then built a five-storey cotton mill on the site in the mid-19th century. This mill burnt down in 1912 and was replaced by a smaller structure. This went out of business during the 1950s. It was demolished in 1983 apart from the houses facing onto the footpath that crosses the river. Prior to demolition, the mill’s rare uniflow steam engine was rescued and is now in the collection of the Bradford Industrial Museum
Ingle, George (1997) Yorkshire Cotton. The Yorkshire Cotton Industry, 1780-1835. Lancaster: Carnegie Publishing
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre
From Grassington take the footpath at the SW corner of the National Park car park to Linton Falls. Cross the footbridge to the site of Linton Mill. About 300m. Mill now demolished. Engine at Bradford Industrial Museum, www.bradford.gov.uk/tourism/museums/indust_museum.htm
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Footpath is narrow and steep in places. Kissing gates.