Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Low Houses farmhouse dairy, Grinton

Click on images below to enlarge

Low Houses farmhouse

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Low Houses farmhouse dairy, Grinton

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34986

Parish: Grinton

OS Grid Reference: SD982973

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Farmhouse and dairy under one roof. The house doorway has a panel inscribed J Harker. Erected in the Year 1840. The dairy is on the right side of the house. Butter making tended to occupy most of the space in a typical farm dairy. Milk was stood in large shallow bowls for the cream to rise. This was skimmed off then churned to produce the butter.

Location

Off B6270 Reeth to Gunnerside Road, about 1/3 mile west of Low Row, turn left over Isles Bridge signed 'Crackpot, Summer Lodge'. After 150 metres turn left to 'Low Houses only'. Site is first farm on right after 1/2 mile. No public access. View from road.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Low Row. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes