Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Malham tan pits

Click on images below to enlarge

Site of Malham tan pits

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Malham tan pits

Historical Environment Record No: MYD27559

Parish: Malham

OS Grid Reference: SD900624

Dale: Malhamdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

These are known from place name evidence supported by documentary research. Tanpits Beck and Tanpits Bridge are marked on the modern Ordnance Survey map just south of the village of Malham. In 1775 a tanner called Robert Atkinson is recorded as owning a tanhouse and tan yard here. The tannery was apparently still working during the 19th century and supplied leather for use in the calamine mines on nearby Pikedaw.
Source:
Raistrick, Arthur (1947) Malham & Malham Moor. Clapham: Dalesman

Location

Lies 300 metres south of Malham National Park Centre on east side of road into village beside Tanpits Bridge and just north of the beck. No visible remains. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Malham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes