Historical Environment Record No: MYD35342
OS Grid Reference: NZ103003
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
The Hutton family were responsible for building Marske Hall around 1597. They were still living there in 1730 when the house was rebuilt and extended in classical style. The quadrangular stable block, built around 1750 is also worthy of note as are the formal landscaped grounds and an early 19th century range of farm buildings. The latter were built by John Hutton IV, who was much taken with agricultural improvement. A Gilkes Vortex water turbine dating to around 1918 is still running at the Hall. It originally ran lighting but today the power is only used for heating.
Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
Hay, T T (2000) 'Hydroelectricity Generation in the Yorkshire Dales' The Cleveland Industrial Archaeologist. No 26 pp35-53
The Hall is not open to the public. There is a good view of it through the main gates in Marske village.
There is also a good view of the Hall and stables block from about 500m south of the village along Cat Bank just before the road turns sharp right.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Marske. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Viewable from roadside.