Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Marske Hall park

Click on images below to enlarge

Marske Hall park - view

© YDNPA, 2004,

Marske Hall park - aerial photo

© YDNPA, 2004, (YDP11/23)


Return to previous page

Marske Hall park

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36664

Parish: Marske

OS Grid Reference: SE101999

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The parkland around Marske Hall has been developed along with the hall itself from the 16th century onwards. A sketch by Samuel Buck (c1718) shows a deer park on rising ground to the south of the hall, an avenue of lime trees on Cat Bank and a walled garden on the south facing slope across Marske Beck. The brick walls of the walled garden were designed to retain heat so that fruit could be grown up them. They may date to the 17th century. In the later 19th century, the grounds near the house were planted with imported specimen trees including American redwoods. Ornamental gardens including fishponds were developed in the 19th and 20th centuries to the south of the walled garden. These later gardens run eastwards towards Coney Warren Wood and include a grass terrace walk overlooking the beck. The deer park is graced with Hutton’s Monument, an obelisk erected in memory of the then hall owner’s younger brother Matthew Hutton who died in 1814 aged 35. The site of the monument gave his favourite view and he asked to be buried there.
Source:
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

Location

No access into park. From Downholme, take A6108 north. After just under 1 mile take left hand turn to Marske over Downholme bridge. View park from roadside here.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Marske. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside (at a distance).


Related Timeline

Related Themes