Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Muker Literary Institute

Click on images below to enlarge

Muker Literary Institute

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Muker Literary Institute

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35850

Parish: Muker

OS Grid Reference: SD909978

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The lead mining industry brought great wealth to Muker in Swaledale, and its Literary Institute reflects this. It was built in 1867 from public subscription and by the end of the nineteenth century contained 600 books. It is a rather unusual building with its ornate almost Flemish-style stone façade. No one knows why this particular style was chosen for Muker. It ceased functioning as a literary institute in the postwar period and became the practice room for the Muker Silver band in 1994. Source: Partrick, C (2004) 'Reading Rooms and Literary Institutes of the Yorkshire Dales' in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp203-212

Location

Lies beside B6270 in Muker 30 metres east of the village store.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Muker. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes